Date: 21-27 May, 2017.
Place: Durres, Albania
Hosting/Coordinating organization: Roma Active Albania (AL) and Phiren Amenca (BE)
Partner organizations: Nevo Parudimos (RO), RGDTS Nonprofit Kft. (HU), VISA-ad (FR), FAGIC (ES), Association of Young Roma (SK), CSD Valdese (IT), Integro (BG), TOUCH Foundation (UA), Minority Voice (SRB)
Number of participants: 35, age between 18-30
BACKGROUND OF THE ACTIVITY
Each spring and fall Phiren Amenca hosts in cooperation with member organizations a one week seminar for young Roma and non Roma youth leaders, youth workers, activists and multipliers from around Europe focusing on the exchange of experience and on Roma history, antigypsyism, discrimination, stigmatization, xenophobia, identity and culture; globalization and migration; as well as youth engagement and Roma initiatives in Europe. This seminar will be a key event in the network’s goals of creating opportunities for non-formal education, dialogue and engagement to challenge stereotypes, racism and antigypsyism. The seminar will also further enhance co-operation and learning among member organizations and external partners. Also the seminar will serve to further strengthen the network’s platform of volunteers and former volunteers, serving to strengthen their role as multipliers and promoters of voluntary service and engagement.
Based on various experiences and projects in the last years, antigypsyism appeared as increasingly relevant topic in the youth work of Phiren Amenca, especially regarding educational approaches and youth activism.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The seminar aims to aims to develop the competences of young Roma and non Roma youth leaders, trainers and multipliers in non-formal education, to build a network of Roma and non Roma trainers and youth organizations, to discover the situation of Roma in Albania and to get to know new tools and methods to challenge racism and antigypsyism.
Main objectives of the seminar are:
- Share and map the participants’ experiences in Human Rights Education (HRE);
- Explore practices of different organizations, initiatives and individuals in HRE;
- Analyze, understand, prepare and develop HRE activities for Roma youth
- Develop the participants ability to advocate for HRE;
- Develop guidelines for Roma and non Roma trainers how to work in HRE with Roma youth in the local and in the community level;
- Encourage participants to build alliances with other trainers and youth organizations involved in human rights education and to build up a network of Roma and non Roma trainers and youth organizations in the local level.
- Encourage participants to join our movement during our event, called So keres, Europa?! and to become there possible trainers, facilitators, participants or volunteers.
ABOUT ROMA ACTIVE ALBANIA
Roma Active Albania (RAA) is an experienced organization aiming at the mobilization and empowerment of Roma people. RAA is actively lobbying and advocating Roma issues at local, national and international level. RAA is specialized in addressing Roma issues, conducting analysis and developing new methods and strategies to tackle the exclusion of Roma people in Albania and Europe. RAA supports networks and groups with special emphasis on women and youth. RAA coordinates two regional networks in the region of Fier and Korça. The vision of RAA is to contribute to empowering Roma to come together in a grassroots Roma movement, which will change position of Roma by fighting against exclusionary mechanisms. Moreover, RAA plays a key role in the ERGO (European Roma Grassroots Organization) Network.
PROFILE OF THE PARTICIPANTS
Present will be Roma and non-Roma volunteers, former volunteers, volunteer candidates and youth leaders who are active in Roma communities and experienced in working with Roma communities and/or Roma youth.
All participants must also:
- be able and committed to act as multipliers in youth work on the themes of anti-discrimination and promotion of human rights with Roma young people, for the benefit of Roma communities and Roma youth
- be motivated to develop their competences in anti-discrimination work, human rights education and youth work and to share their experiences with other participants
- be aged 18 – 30 (exceptions are possible)
- be committed to attend for the full duration of the course
- be able to work in English, or check with the coordination office that translation can be provided through other participants or team members
- be resident in one of the partner countries: Albania, Bulgaria, France, Hungary, Italy, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Ukraine, Serbia
DATES OF THE ACTIVITY
Arrival: 21th May 2017 (Sunday)
Departure: 27th May 2017 (Saturday)
Fill in the application form until April 17, 2017 12:00 CET
The application form you find here: https://goo.gl/forms/025uYj4iXUg3ejx63
For this activity there is NO participation fee.
Reimbursement of travel costs:
The accommodation and food is covered by the organisers of the seminar. After the selection process, organizers will contact participants to organize the travel.
ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly contact:
Anna Daróczi (Phiren Amenca) at: email@example.com or
Dritan Ziu (Roma Active Albania) at: firstname.lastname@example.org