About the project
The Youth Against Antigypsyism – YAG (in Romani language “yag” – “fire”) project aims to develop the capacity of young Roma and non-Roma individuals and NGOs on combating antigypsyism and promoting Roma youth participation in mainstream structures, youth policies and strategies relevant to Roma on the national and international levels. The target group of the project are predominantly Roma and non-Roma youth; mainstream youth organizations; stakeholders, policy and decision-makers, international and EU institutions, and MEPs dealing with Roma and youth inclusion/participation. Within the YAG project, Phiren Amenca will conduct a research study on Roma youth participation in mainstream youth structures together with a number of international networking events (Hungary, Czechia, Belgium). The YAG project is funded by the Citizens, Equality, Rights and Values Programme of the European Union.
About the position
Phiren Amenca aims to carry out a study about the situation of young Roma within the mainstream national and European-level youth structures, and the challenges young Roma face when it comes to participation. The researcher will be tasked to prepare the research concept, research methodology, carry out interviews/desk research, and finally to draft the research. The study might be also presented at the COMEM of the European Youth Forum. The researcher will receive guided help from the Program Coordinator to contact mainstream and Roma youth organizations. The vacancy will take place from February to June 2023.
The remuneration is: 3000EUR.
Your background profile
• has an extensive knowledge about issues Roma people face in Europe with special attention to young Roma facing intersectional discrimination, such as women, LGBTI, migrants, Muslims, people living in rural areas, etc.
• has a tracked experience on being a researcher
• has worked with (Roma) youth civil society organizations or other youth related institutions
• has EU citizenship
• has an excellent command of English, speaking more European languages is an advantage
• is familiar with critical race theory, intersectionality, power relations, etc.
• young Roma researchers with an intersectional background are encouraged to apply
Timeline of the research
February 28, 2023: Submitting Research concept and Methodology
March-May 31, 2023: Carrying out interviews and desk research
June 15, 2023: Submitting first draft
June 18, 2023: Receiving feedback from Phiren Amenca
June 30, 2023: Submitting final draft
September 15, 2023: Presenting main findings
October 15, 2023: Publishing the research
November, 2023: Presenting the research at the European Youth Forum COMEM
Please, include your research history and publications into your CV. In the headline of the email please write: YAG researcher.
Looking forward to your applications!