Volunteer for 10 months in 2015-2016 with Roma Youth Center
DEADLINE: October 20. 2015.
Number of volunteers: 1
Applicant country: Poland, Germany, Hungary
Phiren Amenca and Roma Youth Center currently opened a call for applications for young people between 18 and 30 years to participate in a European Voluntary Service (Erasmus+ program) project in Kumanovo, Macedonia. The 10 months lasting project (October 2015 – July 2016), offers diverse learning and service opportunities including national and international seminars, and active involvement in the Roma youth groups and networks in Macedonia. The volunteers engage weekly around 30-35 hours in their working fields.
The scope of the activities will be in the fields of art and culture, language courses, providing PC literacy, sports, theater, media and other ideas suggested by the volunteers. Also the working program will ensure elements where the volunteers depend on the personal preferences, knowledge and previous experience can realize themselves by developing and implementing activities proposed by them.
Tasks of the volunteers:
- Volunteers will be involved in school activities such as: Developing workshops with Roma and Non Roma students from elementary schools. Main topics of the workshops will be: sport activities, art club, theatre, music club, juggling, conflict resolution, self-development and self-esteem. There are possibilities for the volunteer to make his/her own topic for the workshops.
- Volunteers will be involved in the office work of th organisation such as: assisting and be part in one of the working groups within the association that implement the local annually program, organising non formal educational and creative workshops, debate club, outdoor and sport activities, performances, volunteer actions etc.
- Organizing promotional events for the organization and keep updated the social networks of the association.
- Organizing workshops with the local youth on different topics in the Youth Club: non formal educational and art workshops, music, debate club, language courses, karaoke nights, music club, international evenings, and movie nights.
Main tasks of the volunteer in relation of these activities are:
- Preparing the topic for the workshop;
- Preparing the games, activities for the workshop;
- Conducting the workshop together with a volunteer from the organization;
- Making evaluation of the workshop and developing new methods.
- At least basic knowledge in English, to be able to communicate with staff members and the other volunteers;
- Basic computer skills;
- Able to work in a team and to live with other volunteers;
- Able to work at least 30 hours a week and respect the working program of the hosting organization,
- To be available for the whole period of the project (10 months);
- Open minded and sociable;
- Interested and experienced in different youth activities and topics for instance: non formal education, art workshops, music, debate club, karaoke nights, music club, international evenings, and movie nights.
- Open to learn the Macedonian or Romani languages;
- Motivated to work with children and with young people from Roma communities.
The program is fully covered, providing room, board, health insurance, language course and monthly pocket money. Volunteers will be provided with 2 Erasmus+ seminars during their service, and 2 international Phiren Amenca seminars.
Download the Phiren Amenca Volunteer Application Form (PDF) here
Dates of the project: 01.10.2015 – 30.07.2016.
For more information please contact: Marietta Herfort (volunteer coordinator) at [email protected]
DESCRIPTION OF THE HOSTING ORGANIZATION
Roma Youth Center
Roma Youth Centre strives for a society where Roma young people enjoy equal access to opportunities regardless of their ethnicity, have a voice in their community and society, whose needs are tackled by the institutions that have a direct impact in their daily lives. RYC’s vision is based on universal standards and practices of the civil society. Roma youth centre`s mission is to empower Roma young people for the challenges they face supporting them with various formal and non formal activities that enable them to become active citizens influencing policies that are on their interest. One of RYC’s greatest successes is establishing cooperation with a large number of state and international institutions and organizations, citizens’ associations, foundations and the Roma community.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SENDING ORGANISATION
Amaro Drom e.V.
„Amaro Drom” is an intercultural self-organization of young Roma and non-Roma . Our main focus is the socio-cultural youth work, the strengthening of self-initiative, mobilization, networking and self-esteem of young Roma and their political and social participation. As young Europeans we actively want to contribute to society for more acceptance and respect, mutual understanding and inclusion. We are members of ternYpe International Roma Youth Network and of Phiren Amenca (www.rgdts.net), a network of Roma and non-Roma volunteers and voluntary service organizations creating opportunities for non-formal education, dialogue and engagement, in order to challenge stereotypes and racism. www.amarodrom.de.
VISA-ad sends hosts and supports young volunteers motivated for a service, mainly in the social or educational field, in France and abroad. It is accredited as coordinating organization for the hosting and sending of volunteers, as well within the framework of the European Voluntary Service (EVS) program (since 1997), as of the Civic Service program. It is also member of the Phiren Amenca network, a network of organizations working in the voluntary service and having as objective the development of non formal educational missions with the Roma populations, and member of the European network EDYN (Ecumenical Diaconal Year Network) that gathers 14 European countries and the USA and supports the development of voluntary service. http://www.visa-ad.org/