Putren Le Jakha! – Open Your Eyes! – International Youth Conference
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
9-14. December, 2018.
European Youth Center Budapest
Each fall, Phiren Amenca, with its partners, hosts a one week seminar to bring together Roma and non-Roma youth workers, young leaders, activists and multipliers in order to exchange experiences; knowledge on Roma history, antigypsyism, discrimination, identity and culture, as well as youth engagement and Roma initiatives in Europe.
Putren Le Jakha – Open Your Eyes! – International Youth Conference will focus on:
– the situation of Roma on local and international levels,
– analyzing how Roma Youth as a priority is included in the National Integration Strategies,
– exchange experiences of own realities and work of the participants,
– creating visibility for the issues participants and Roma in general face in Europe
– defining recommendations to increase the involvement of Roma youth organizations in National Integration Strategies
Aims and goals of the conference:
- To train young people and youth workers in the concepts and mechanisms of antigypsyism
- To explore the practices and initiatives of different organizations and individuals
- To create visibility for the issues concerning Roma youth on the local level through public actions
- To develop the participants’ ability to create actions on the local and international levels
- To mobilize young people to become active citizens and work for positive social change.
- To build and strengthen the network of Roma and/or youth organizations in Europe
- To share participants’ experiences in their youth work related to antigypsyism and other types of oppression
The seminar aims to raise awareness and local activism to challenge antigypsyism, to develop advocacy skills of young people in order to support their local communities. We will develop recommendations to increase the involvement of Roma youth and Roma youth organizations in National Integration Strategies.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Roma and non-Roma youth leaders, activists, youth workers, and volunteers. We place a high value on bringing together a group with diverse experiences, including youth workers who are effective multipliers on the local, national or international level in issues of empowerment, participation, mobilization and self-organization, as well as volunteers and former volunteers engaged in local communities for the dialogue between Roma and non-Roma. We also emphasize creating equal opportunities for all genders.
All participants must also:
- be able and committed to act as multipliers in youth work on the themes of anti-discrimination and promotion of human rights with Roma young people,
- be motivated to develop their competences in anti-discrimination work, human rights education and youth work and to share their experiences with other participants
- be aged 18 – 30 (exceptions are possible)
- be committed to attend for the full duration of the course
- be able to work in English, or check with the coordination office if translation can be provided by other participants or team members
Working language: English
DATES OF THE ACTIVITY:
Arrival: 9th December 2018, morning (Sunday)
Departure: 14th December 2018, afternoon (Friday)
Participation fee, cost reimbursement:
- For this activity there is NO participation fee.
- Reimbursement of travel costs: Phiren Amenca will reimburse travel costs up to 150 € (return, per person), the rest we expect as a sending organisational or individual contribution. After the selection process, organizers will contact participants to organize the travel.
- The accommodation and food is covered by the organisers of the seminar.
EARLY APPLICATION DEADLINE: 20th October, 2018. 12.00
Online application form:
ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?
Write to us at [email protected] or directly contact:
Kinga Kánya (Phiren Amenca) at: [email protected]
The conference is supported by the Roma Youth Voices Project, funded by the Rights, Equality and Citizenship Programme of the DG Justice, European Commission and by the European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe.